Tuesday 1 July 2014

Cruise Fashion Competition - Virgin Holidays

Hi Guys!

So I was recently asked to take part in a styling competition with Virgin Holidays. The brief was to create a day to night look for a cruise holiday. This was so much fun as I've never been on a cruise before but always have these visions of gorgeous ships and stylish people shmoozing around on deck looking fabulous!

I wanted to tell you a bit about how I came to decide on the looks as I love the whole day to night thing. Being able to transform an outfit to create two different looks is great and a fantastic way to save money by really making the most of what you have in your wardrobe!

So my instinct when I heard cruise was nautical stripes but I decided that probably everyone was going to go down this route as it's so cliche for sea and beach looks, so I chose to go more on my instinctive reactions of luxury and sophistication. I decided to keep it on topic by choosing a gorgeous blue mix dress from Topshop. I trawled everywhere and had a massive selection of outfits but this one stood out to me straight away, it's elegant and versatile and I can see this on people of all different ages on a cruise ship. The important thing when choosing a piece that you want to take you from day to night is to pick a blank canvas, something that you can build on and accessorise. If you go too casual it won't work but at the same time you wouldn't wander about in a ballgown during the day!
I immediately saw the day look in this dress, the relaxed, easy shape can be thrown over a bikini, keep you cool and airy while still looking stylish enough to go to lunch in. I completed the look with a ribbon detail floppy straw hat, some gorgeous and bang on trend sliders and a straw beach bag. I went for a gold beach bag as a nice way of picking out the gold straps of the dress. Throw in some sunglasses and you're good to go!
The evening look I love because the dress is so easy to transform into a gorgeous dinner or cocktail outfit. Again, the relaxed shape means you can dance the night away while looking elegant and comfortable. The shoes are amazing, I wanted to pick out the gold feature again but didn't want to make the outfit look over the top so they strike a nice balance between that. As a side note, with a dress like this you really need strappy heels, closed shoes don't work as this dress is so summery. Due to the print and gold straps you need to be careful with jewellery and you can easily go way over the top! I decided a nice gold cuff bracelet would add to the grecian feel of the dress and the hair chain is a great way to jewel up if a necklace is not an option. Lastly, I decided on a pop of colour with the orange clutch. With all the gold and blue I wanted to break it up and add another focal point, orange looks fantastic with gold and also works really nicely with blue for a summery, tropical feel.
I hope you all like these looks as much as I do and I would love it if you could vote for me! It's really easy to do and you can vote through Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter. Just follow the link below :-) xx

http://www.virginholidayscruises.co.uk/cruise-fashion.phtml



Dress - Topshop £60

Day Look
Straw Hat - Oasis £20
STraw Bag - New Look £12.99
Bikini - Topshop £30
Sliders - River Island £28
Sunglasses - Mango at ASOS £17.99

Night Look
Hair Chain - ASOS £20
Bag - Aldo at ASOS £35
Gold Cuff - ASOS £10
Heels - Steve Madden at ASOS £75

No comments:

Post a Comment